Residential settlement of the Malabar area did not really take off until the early 1920’s. These days the suburb offers a fantastic range of leisure activities amidst beautiful surrounds. There is a fabulous seaside golf course, a riding school, rifle range, and a wondrous display of natural and introduced flora and fauna in the surrounding parks and bushlands easily. All of it is accessible for bush walking and picnics.
Seniors and juniors are well catered for with specialty activity centres for all. Shops including Post Office, Restaurants, Newsagent and General Store, as well as sporting Clubs for refreshments and relaxing, are all close at hand.
Malabar is located some 14 kms east of the Sydney City with extensive headlands facing the Pacific Ocean. It has a population of some 6,500 . The suburb was named in 1933 after the ship M.V. Malabar was wrecked on the rocks in April 1931. The area was previously called the Village of Brand after Henry Robert Brand, Governor of NSW 1895-1899. Earlier still the aborigines knew the area as Boora.
Europeans first came to the area in 1770 when it is believed Captain Cook the English expeditioner stopped briefly. Malabar, like so many other seaside areas, was the destination of hunters and fishermen, from the early settlement of Sydney Town. Today, once more, Malabar is the gateway to a host of fabulous activities and scenic delights – yet another part of The Sports Coast coming up trumps.